Hey there! I figured since I have spent almost an entire semester living in the dorm, I’d share how I decorated and made it somewhat of an enjoyable place to be!
Obviously living in a dorm isn’t the most luxurious place to live, but I will admit that mine is one of the nicer ones. I mean I don’t prefer the pea green accent wall, but it will do for a year I suppose. Did I mention we have A/C? In addition, to the photos you’ll see below, there is a common area that I share with my roommate and suitemates. It consists of a full size fridge, a sink, a microwave and a pretty big walkway area. On top of that, we have a full size bathroom in our suite as well. I definitely got lucky with my dorm set up!
As far as my actual dorm room goes, I basically created another version of my room back home. I did buy a lot of decor, but I also brought a lot from home like most of the throw pillows and wall decor. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I think the lofted beds allow for much more room, and open the area up a little bit more. It is also nice to have what I call our ‘mini living room’ underneath our beds to relax and watch some Netflix.
To make the room a little bit less miserable and more cozy, I recently added the Christmas lights/tree. It is super nice to cuddle up with a blanket, tea, and watch a movie at the end of the day. #grandmalife #noshame
I linked as many of the items as I could down below (or similar) in case you’re wondering where I got anything!
- Dorm Tips
- Loft both of your beds (if you have a roommate). It gives you so much more room to actually move & it opens up the room so you don’t feel so cramped.
- Get a futon! It was probably the best decision my roommate and I made. As I said before, it is super nice to just watch TV, do homework, or take a quick snooze.
- Get some sort of storage cubes: I really enjoy my 6 cube organizer. I got one for the each of us and my roommate and I fit so much inside of them. It also somewhat looks like an entertainment center.
- Hang lights: this is pretty self explanatory. It just makes everything so much better and bright
- Bring a fan: If you’re like me, you won’t be able to sleep without it. But it might get hot, especially if you aren’t fortunate to have A/C
- Bring a TV: Even if you don’t watch a lot of tv it is super nice to just have. Especially if the building has cable. I would also recommend in investing in an Apple TV so you don’t always have to watch Netflix on your laptop.
- Make a gallery wall: I think the amount of decor I have is what makes my dorm room feel like a mini apartment in a sense. The gallery wall adds a personal touch and it looks like you tired super hard when you truly didn’t.
- Bring a decent amount of extension cords…you’ll need them…trust me.
- Get some sort of organizer for your makeup, everyday essentials…it will save you so much time in the morning rather than digging through a makeup bag.
- Buy a couple of different mirrors. It opens up the room without taking up space. I have one in the back of my desk and it adds so much. Also, I would highly recommend in investing in a vanity mirror that lights up if you wear makeup. This will be super nice because you’ll be able to get ready without waking up your sleeping roommate.
- Desk items
- Grey Fuzzy Throw: Home Goods- you can get them super cheap there! (similar)
- Vanity Magnified Mirror: Costco, but I’m pretty sure this is it on Amazon (similar)
- Desk Mirror: Ross (similar)
- Desk Lamp
- Makeup Brush & Pen Cups: Hobby Lobby
- Grey & Copper Basket (Holds Makeup Pallets)
- White Jewelry Box: The Container Store (similar)
- Gold Earring Jewelry Stand
- Copper Wired Basket (Holds Sunglasses) (similar)
- Faux Succulent: Nordstrom Rack (similar)
- Gold Skull Piggy Bank: Home Goods (similar)
- Pink Glitter Christmas Tree: Target $1 Section
- Wall Decor
- Rosé All Day Sign (similar)
- Marble & Copper Clock: Nordstrom Rack (similar)
- Lattes & Lipstick Sign: Hobby Lobby (similar)
- You Are My Sunshine Sign: Home Goods (similar)
- The Best is Yet to Come sign: Gifted DIY (similar)
- ‘L’ Art: Hailey’s cute going away gift
- Hexagon Cork boards
- It’s a Brand New Day/Paw Print Art: By Picasso Honey
- ‘Living Area’
- ‘Entertainment Center’
- Desk items
♥Special thanks to Hailey Birch for taking these pictures
Thank you so much for reading!
XX Lillie Jane